Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tuesdays With Dorie : White Loaves

There is a blog called Tuesdays with Dorie (TWD), where a group of bakers from all over the world had been baking through Dorie Greenspan's "Baking From My Home To Yours" book from 2008 to end-2011. As of today, they started baking through another book of Dorie Greenspan's; "Baking with Julia" (BWJ), and I decided to join them in this round. I will be baking something new from BWJ every other other week, and posting here on Tuesdays..


The first recipe is White Loaves.. This was the first time I baked bread at home.. It is fairly simple to make but you need patience to wait two 45 minutes for rising of the dough, and another 45 minutes to bake it.. And since I do not have a stand mixer it was very tiring for my right arm to use hand mixer with dough hook for +15 minutes.. But then, when it started baking in the oven and released that fresh bread smell all over my house, it all worth it..


The recipe makes 2 loaves, but I halved the recipe to make only one, since it would be too much delicious white bread at home.. The result was great, I had a honey-brown colored 4,5 inches high white bread, crunchy on the outside and substantial texture inside.. It is a kind of bread you would be happy to get at a high-quality restaurant or a bakery, and it is even more enjoyable knowing that you baked it yourself.. BWJ says slices would be great for toasting, I will freeze the remaining slices to make grilled cheese sandwiches in the weekend, can not wait..


Only the hosts for the week are allowed to post the recipe, so I can not give the recipes in my blog but will give a link to their sites. Here are this week's hosts: Slush and Someone's in the Kitchen.. The recipe is given in the latter one..

Have a great day!

10 comments:

  1. Lovely looking loaves!! I should have made just one loaf as well, I am overwhelmed here with two! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchen :) I just checked your post, yours look great too.. I am excited for baking through the book with all..

      Halfing the recipe was my friend's idea who is also baking along with us at TWD.. It worked well.. If I had 2 loaves, I was going to freeze the second.. It is too dangerous to keep around :)

      Delete
  2. Your bread is beautiful--perfect loaf. I agree, it would be served at a nice resturant.
    Welcome to TWD, this is an awesome baking/blogging group. You will meet great bakers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy :) Your loaf looks great too..

      I am excited to bake many more recipes with TWD!

      Delete
  3. Ellerine saglik! Nefis gorunuyor gercekten. Blogunu da cok begendim. Neden haber vermedin ki onceden :?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tesekkurler :) Bilmem, pek istikrarli davranadim zaten bu blog konusunda,.

      Delete
  4. Hımm.Yummy:)) Ellerine sağlık Ferdacım. Bilirsin ekmek pek severim şimdi bir de evde pişmişi leziz olmuştur..

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) Lezzetli oluyor evet, sana da yaparim bir gun insallah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful loaf - such a nice golden color.

    ReplyDelete