Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tuesday With Dorie : Blueberry Nectarine Pie


Here is my first attempt to making an American fruit pie.. Although I had couple of hiccups with the dough, the making of pie was much easier than I thought it would be.. And the result worths the effort, it was a delicious summer pie.. 

I started the process on last Thursday by putting together the dough for flaky pie crust.. This part was very easy.. The crust uses combination of butter and vegetable shortening - to balance the flavor and flakiness.. This was the first time I used vegetable shortening in any recipe, it is such a weird ingredient.. Back to the process, the dough needs to be chilled for minimum 2 hours to as long as 5 days in the fridge.. I opted to leave it in the fridge until the next day.. Because I was going to have dinner guests on Friday and wanted them to have a freshly baked pie rather than 1 day old - which wouldn't be that disastrous either :)

Delicious blueberry
and nectarine filling..
Blueberry Nectarine Pie..
Then on Friday, I started rest of pie making by preparing the blueberry&nectarine filling.. Half of the fruits are cooked with sugar, lemon zest and some flour, and when it resembles a jam, you mix this with the uncooked fruits and lemon juice.. This filling was extremely delicious, like the best tasting jam ever.. Yummm..

Next is my worst nightmare, rolling the dough :) It was as challenging for me as I expected.. For some reason I can not roll dough into circles, my dough goes in weird directions with cracks on the sides.. That is why I could not get a circle in the size that the book asks for, both top and bottom crusts.. Which resulted in not having enough hanging sides - when fitted to pie pan - to crimp.. So, I decided to pinch top and bottom crust together, and then press with fork all over.. It was not that bad looking at the end..

Then comes the baking: I baked mine for 40 minutes.. Towards the end, some of my filling found its way out of the sealed crust to the baking sheet under the pie pan.. Well I had enough filling left inside, so no problem..


I did not taste the baked pie for hours and hours (the book recommends at least 30 minutes wait time before you cut into it), until the end of the dinner with our guests.. I think the pie delivers on everything it promises: a flaky tasty crust and a delicious filling, tangy&sweet.. This recipe was a success.. From my side, I confirmed again that - although I think they are tasty - fruit desserts are not my favourites.. I like creamy pies like coconut cream pie or lemon pie  much better..

For the recipe please visit this week's hosts: Liz and Hilary.. Or buy the book Baking With Julia..

Thanks for stopping by..

17 comments:

  1. Yollarımız ayrılıyor.Ben meyveli her tür tatlıya bayılıyorum. Bu da harika gozukuyor. Ellerine sağlık...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Saol canim.. Ortak sevdiklerimizde bulusuruz :)

      Delete
  2. The color of your filling is gorgeous Ferda! And it looks like the dough turned out well, too bad you had to struggle with it. Let´s wait for a cream pie right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For all your hiccups.. your pie looks great!! i love the golden colour on the crust.. and i envy you that you get blueberries!! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Blueberries are beautiful, but your pear pie looks great too..

      Delete
  4. I am glad that you enjoyed the pie! I am totally with you on the rolling part - I had to reshape and re-chill the dough a few times, until I was slightly satisfied with the results :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pie crusts have always scared me! I did find this one a bit sticky, but it was worth it! Your pie loooks really nice and I bet your company enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made a very lovely pie. it looks sooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job - I'm glad you enjoyed it, even if fruit pies aren't your favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harika gorunuyor ferdacim. Ben de meyveli pay sevenlerdenim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today, I was just browsing along and came upon your blog. Just wanted to say good blog and this article helped me a lot, due to which I have found exactly I was looking. www.bchealthinfo.com

    ReplyDelete